Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Bringing The Kingdom to Earth

Why are precious, innocent children being shot and killed in their school?

I don't get. It just doesn't make sense to me. It outrages me and makes me very angry. But even more, it saddens and shatters my heart.

Things like this happen, and I tend to get unwound emotionally. My eyes are tearing up as I write this, and my heart is completely broken. Broken for parents who are facing a parent's greatest nightmare: to outlive their child. My heart is broken for children who just lost their best friends and classmates for no reason. My heart is broken for teachers who must continue to walk into a classroom and teach, knowing that their classroom can never be whole again, because one of their children was shot. My heart shatters for the families of the teachers who sacrificially gave their lives for their students. My heart breaks for the gunman's family--what a loss they have suffered.

My heart trembles with pain, sorrow, and fear for the classrooms, the school, the town, the homes, the churches, and the families that will never be the same again because one person bought into the lies of Satan and did not accept the grace that is offered to us so freely in Jesus Christ.



As sorrowful and sad as things like this are--my soul can't help but be awoken: awoken to the reality that the Almighty God is calling us to a better place. He is calling us home to heaven where there will be no more sorrow, pain, or tears.

And more than just being called home to heaven, He is calling us to bring the Kingdom of Heaven down to earth. It is seeming more and more impossible these days--especially when innocent, precious children are being shot in their schools. However, it is all the more necessary.

Your life and mine are stories of God's unending grace and mercy. Your life and mine are stories of the redemptive power of the Holy Spirit.

When we chose to show love to the lost, broken, and hurting, we are bringing the Kingdom of Heaven down to earth.

When we give of ourselves in extra ordinary ways, we are bringing the Kingdom of Heaven down to earth.

When we give to the least of these: the fatherless, the widow, and the orphan, we are bringing the Kingdom of Heaven down to earth.

The world is in desperate need of an unashamed, real, and authentic love: the love of Jesus Christ. 

The only way that we can bring the Kingdom of Heaven down to earth is when we take Jesus at his word and commit to deny ourselves everything, take up our cross, and follow Him.

The world is in need of people who will follow Jesus Christ with everything they have, growing into greater relationship with God's son, and thus bringing the kingdom of heaven to earth.

Horrific acts must turn our hearts to gracious acts of love. 





No comments:

Post a Comment