Sunday, September 23, 2012

Transformed Thoughts.

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind."

This verse has been entering my life a lot lately--through discussions with students, peers, professors, and adult mentors. It keeps popping up in my life, which clearly means that God is trying to tell me something about this verse.

I think the key here is found in transforming our minds. I've been trying to figure out what it means for my mind to be transformed. But in order for me to learn how to transform my mind, I have been on a journey discovering what exactly the mind does. I've been reading the book called Thinking. Loving. Doing. by John Piper & David Mathis. It's opened up my eyes a lot to this concept of genuinely transforming our thoughts.

Whether you know it or not, your mind is involved in an intense and vicious battle.
Have you ever wanted to connect so bad with God, but not been able to? Have you found it hard to find God? Have you found it hard to see him working? I have come to the conclusion that this is because our minds are broken and corrupted.

"Take every thought captive to obey Christ."

Take captive every thought. Submit every thought. Make every thought obey.
We struggle with this idea so much because we do not know how to fight the battle of the mind.

Our minds are often disobedient. We want to pray, but somehow our thoughts drift away. We want to think a certain way, but then our thoughts somehow go another way.

We all are seized by the mental illness of sin. We are all broken by sin. Our minds are broken by sin.

Repenting from this sin is a mental change. It's not necessarily about changing what we do, but first and foremost changing how we think.

We must start thinking about our thinking. I haven't figured out yet what it means for my mind to be transformed. I don't quite know what that looks like yet. But I do know that this battle for my mind requires me to take action and start thinking about how I think.

I don't have an answer by any means--just a passion and a desire to make every thought captive to Christ. I challenge you, and myself, to be people that start thinking about thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment