Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Eyes of Faith

Saying goodbye is not fun. I have learned this multiple times in my life, but this concept became very real to me this past sunday. As most of you know, I got to spend the summer as a youth intern at a church in the Dallas area. However, this past Sunday, I had to say goodbye. I have been trying to figure out why this particular goodbye was so hard and is still hard--it's because I feel like I lost several of my best friends all at once. It's crazy to me that relationships this deep can be formed in such a short span of time like a summer. Never in my wildest dreams would I have been able to imagine the impact that this summer had on my heart.

As saddened as I am that I had to say goodbye--this summer will be in my heart forever. The experiences and memories will always be cherished and very dear to my heart. I could not be more thankful that the Lord placed me at Riverside this summer. The Lord is soooo good! :)

I am so grateful for every relationship that I formed this summer--whether it was a deep relationship or just one simple encounter--the Lord has been evident in my life this summer. Watching the youth around me seeking to know the Lord more, asking questions, serving, and loving each other has really opened my eyes to the reality of Christ.

I have learned many things this summer, but I think the biggest thing has been to see through the eyes of Christ. To use our vision in the correct way, if that makes any sense. You see, Christianity is a relationship--it's a relationship with God based on faith in his Son, Jesus. Even though we have never seen Him with our physical eyes, we LOVE him. We love him so much that we are eagerly anticipating His return where we will be able to be fully with Him.

In heaven, our relationship with God will be perfect. But all the relationships that we have on this earth require commitment and effort to maintain. Through every relationship we have with anyone on this earth: there will be ups and downs, but these ups and downs will be caused by both people, not just one. However, we can be sure that the bumps that occur in our relationship with God are solely our fault. This is because we are dealing with a perfect partner who provides for our every need. So in our relationship with the Lord, what we need to work on is not waiting on God to fulfill his end of the bargain, but to rather change our response to the Lord.

By this I mean, we need to learn to trust God fully and lean upon Him instead of claiming that we know the right way. In order to do this though, we need vision--we need a vision that gives us the ability to see the unseen. How can we do this? Well, since we cannot physically see God, we must learn to open the eyes of our heart and to see through the eyes of faith. Once we do this, we can go along this unseen path that God has created for us to follow.

God is so good! I am so thankful for the things I have learned this summer. I am so happy and have experienced so much joy through every relationship I have formed. The Lord has really opened my eyes to what he is doing not only in my life, but in the lives of those around me.




While I am so sad to be away from these students, looking through the eyes of faith and with the eyes of my heart opened, I can clearly see the Lord's purpose in bringing me to Riverside this summer. The impact that has been made on my heart is unexplainable. I can't wait to see what the impact of this summer has on this next semester and the rest of my life! My life has been forever changed by the relationships I made this summer--and I am so amazed that the Lord could work through a messed up and broken person like me in order to spur students on into greater relationship with His son.

No comments:

Post a Comment