Monday, May 14, 2012

Child of God

Well, here is my first attempt at blogging. I've been writing a lot of things down lately, and I have decided that writing down my thoughts and ideas is a very real and easy way to portray my heart. So here we go:


In Abilene, I have the privilege of working for an organization called House of Faith. House of Faith exists to bring Jesus to neighborhood children and their families. Basically, my job consists of going to Backyard Bible Studies in the afternoons. These kids all come from at-risk backgrounds, situations that I never knew could exist in my own backyard. From the very first time I met these kids a year and a half ago, till right this moment, each and every one of them has filled my heart with joy. A joy none other than the joy of the Lord.


You see, I never imagined myself working with kids younger than 6th grade. However, I am daily surrounded my kids k-5th grade; precious children that have taught me what it means to love Jesus. More than that, they have taught me what it means to LIVE for Jesus. 


I have seen these children in many different lights and in many different situations. 
Sometimes they are great and behave well.
Sometimes they know the answers and are really responsive to talking about God.
Sometimes they say something about who God is that I had never even thought of before. 
Sometimes they show kindness to one another. 
Sometimes they act generous and loving. 
Sometimes they do all of these things and are very easy to love.
BUT....
Sometimes they misbehave.
Sometimes they act out.
Sometimes they don't want to talk about God.
Sometimes they don't want to be responsive.
Sometimes they talk bad about each other and My Savior.
Sometimes they slap, hit, kick, punch, and show hate to one another.
Sometimes they say awful things to each other.
Sometimes they do all of these things and are still VERY EASY to love. 


I've never had my own child, and that won't be happening for a while. But I do have these kids. Kids that are so good at times, and so awful at others. But you want to know something? My love for them never changes. It is unconditional. I love them so much that I would willingly give my life for any of them. My love for them is not based upon their actions. Even when they act awful, I STILL LOVE THEM UNCONDITIONALLY. 


I see Jesus in these children by the gentleness, love, and spirit. But mostly, I see Jesus in them, because I have learned that the way that I love these kids, is how Jesus loves me, but SO MUCH MORE!


You see, just like anyone else, I am a sinner. I mess up, pretty much daily. Sometimes it's an outward sin that everyone can see, or sometimes it's merely a thought. Whatever it is, I can act pretty awful at times. But that doesn't make it more difficult for Jesus to love me. He loves me the same as he did yesterday and he will love me the same tomorrow. It doesn't change. His love is unconditional and constant. It doesn't change based upon my actions. While Jesus would like for me to act in a more loving way, just like sometimes I would like my House of Faith kids to act better or love God and each other more, my love for them is not dependent upon a change in their actions. So when I get the chance to actively love kids that don't have the greatest lifestyle or behavior, I see how Jesus so gracefully loves me. My heart explodes with joy!!!


"How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!" (1 John 3:1)


I am a child of God. And so are you! I have a loving and protective Father and so do you! The love with which Jesus loves us is incomprehensible!!! And THAT should be enough to change your heart! I know it's changed mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment